Thursday, July 27, 2006

LET’S SPEAK OF TEAMWORK RATHER THAN OPPOSITION

Maybe it is because blogger was working fine for me (sitting in Dubai) so I did not feel the same helplessness that some bloggers felt when some bloghosts were blocked, purportedly following instructions received from the government. During this entire episode, I came across various posts and articles written by bloggers that vented their collective ire at the government. Strong adjectives like ‘furious’ and many more similar meaning ones were used in these articles and posts. What really got to my goat was that most bloggers had started cursing the government for infringement on their freedom of expression even before trying to understand head or tail of why the government had asked (if they had) the ISP’s to block these sites. I may be naïve in my thinking here but I feel that if we have a democratically elected government, we should treat the government as an entity on our side of the fence rather than some satanic force hell-bent on doing us some sort of disservice. And this is not an isolated incident. Time and again, the tone that I have encountered in many blogs casts the government as the antagonist. Wouldn’t it serve all of us a little better if we showed a bit of empathy and perspective before we took pot-shots at our elected representatives? I agree that it is probably the lifelong experience of inefficiency in governance that has made cynics and critics of all of us. But I believe this is all the more reason we have to be on guard when wording our blogposts; it may not be wise to load our historical baggage of cynicism on all current issues. LET’S SPEAK OF TEAMWORK RATHER THAN OPPOSITION.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home