Thursday, August 03, 2006

why i could never make the cut as a fast bowler

From my earliest cricketing memories to my adolescent cricketing fantasies, I have always dreamt of bowing fast. Now, I’m not at all physically built to bowl at speeds approaching the 90/100mph mark but I was adamant. Quite a few people dissuaded me, trying to get me to bowl left arm spin instead, most notably Balwinder Singh Sandhu (now one of India's top coaches but best remembered for his banana delivery to Greenidge in the 1983 WC finals) who tried twice to get me to change from pace to spin, once when he was coach at RCF in Mumbai and the other time when he was the coach of the Maharashtra Ranji trophy team, of which I was a member. On both occasions, he told me quite bluntly that I did not have it in me to become an international standard fast bowler and I would be better off bowling spin. Apparently, he had watched me bowl spin during practice on a couple of occasions and thought that I had ‘real promise as a finger spinner’. However, I was too enamored by the glamour associated with fast bowling to consider taking up spin. As an all-rounder, I was well aware of the kind of terrorized awe batsmen held fast bowlers in when they – the fast bowlers – were on song and I craved that sort of awe. I worked very hard on my bowling and become good enough to be called a genuine all rounder at the national level. But of course, even in my most megalomaniacal moments, I could never call myself a ‘fast’ bowler.
In hindsight, I feel that Ballu was correct. Bowling fast requires a certain body structure which I don’t possess. Besides the lack of height – I stand at 5’8” – I now realize that I don’t and never had the musculature to get the kind of torque that is so essential for fast bowling. Also, I was a self taught bower. During my time, we did not have any good bowling coaches in Pune/Mumbai and whatever coaching methods that were employed were crude at best. Even so, I do not believe that I would have become a genuine fast bowler even if I would have had access to superior and more sophisticated coaching methods.

3 Comments:

At 11:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey man, I can really associate with ur positon here, i am 5'8, medium built, trying to be a fast bowler, but i think i am gonna go ahead and give it all i have and see where i end up, i can never ever imagine myself bowling spin. i think we both have the kind of mantaility where we say to ourselves "i can do this better then anyone else" and our egos drive our crazy passion, anyways i am still 19 (turning 20 soon) and i wanna be the quickest bowler on the planet, wish me luck. I am a Jatt and nothing can stop me.

 
At 9:01 AM , Blogger Vedant Patwardhan said...

good on you, my friend. Let your intellect drive yor passion and I see no reason why you can't achive your ambition of being the quickest on this planet.
vedant

 
At 3:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly the same as the first comment, I'm 5'8 with a medium build, and my dream is to be a pro fast bowler... People tell you 'itl never happen, you're too short', 'you should try spin', 'your batting has promise you should focus on that', but at the end of the day if you want it bad enough and work hard enough there is no reason why you shouldn't achieve it; we're all humans, just the same as James Anderson, Brett Lee, sreesanth etc. I'm 17 and over the last year have managed to get my bowling up from 65 mph to 75 mph, proving my coaches wrong, and I hope to increase at least as much again before I'm 19. A tip is work on your rear deltoid muscles, they provide a lot of the power in the arm coming over; but don't try and turn yourself into an Arnold Schwarzenegger, that's just turn you into a lumbering beast and your pace will drop. Also for people like us with a medium build, we want to keep that because it gives momentum, look at tim bresnan (England bowler built like a beer barrel) anyway I've gone on for too long, good luck to all out there who want to be a fast bowler, hope I helped and to the original comment, maybe il see you one day in the heat of battle on the international cricket field!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home